THE DESTRUCTIVE POWER OF SIN
TEXT: Joshua 7:1-12
Until you know what a thing can do either positively or negatively, you may not value or handle it properly. Sin is a destructful force, yet is one of the most celebrated acts of man on earth today. It has been a destrucful force in the past; it is still destructful and will certainly continue to be. “The Lord looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God, They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one. Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the Lord” Psalm 14:2-4.
This study is specifically designed to expose what sin does and empower you towards living above sin. May the Holy Spirit grant you divine understanding as we study in Jesus name.
WHAT IS SIN?Sin is simply the violation of any of God’s laws, The Bible describes sin as the breaking, or transgression, of God’s law “Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law” 1 John 3:4. It is also defined as disobedience or rebellion against God. “Israel hath sinned, and they have also transgressed my covenant which I commanded them” Joshua7:11 Sin is any trespass against the righteous boundaries and standards that God has set for man to live by. “All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.” 1 John 5:17.
Sin is living, acting and doing anything that is not pleasing to God’s command and nature. Sin is a very influential element; this made everyone a sinner by reason of the fall of Adam in the garden. Every creature by reason of Adam’s sin became sinners in our nature “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned” Romans 5:12
Sin is deceitful and destructful; it slowly eats away at man’s conscience until he has no sense of right or wrong, “But exhort one another daily, while it is called Today; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.” Hebrews 3:13. The heart is the breeding ground for sin, every time man will sin, it starts from the heart. Matthew 15:18-20, Eccl 9:3, Gen 6:5. To lose control of your heart is to lose control of your life.The root of sin is the heart of man but the author of sin is Satan. He was the first one to sin and he was the one that introduced man to sinning. However Satan is not the cause of every sin, he does tempt man to sin every time because he desires to see man destroyed.
“Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.” Ezekiel 28:15
THE POWER OF SIN
Sin is a powerful force that does not have anything good to offer though it presents itself to do. Everything that sin offers is to glorify the devil and invite the anger of God. The following are some of the scriptural revelations of the destructive power in sin.
1. Sin Separates from God: There is nothing more destructful in life than to be separated from the source of all living. Anything separated from its source does not live. Isaiah 59:1-2. God is too Holy to behold sin, when the sin of the world was upon Jesus, God could not behold him, sin makes man to be forsaken. Mark 15:34.
2. Sin opens door for attack: Every time sin gain access into the life of God’s people, it opens up door for the attackers. Sin takes away the covering of God upon a destiny. Joshua 7:1-12. Sin is a door opener for satanic attacks, sicknesses, curses, evil etc. Mark 2:1-10, John 5:14.
3. Sin kills Spirituality: Sin is satan’s strategy for killing the spirituality of the believers, sin enslaves the believers to live perpetually in the flesh. You cannot be in sin and live in the Spirit, it cuts off your spirituality, someone can be in sin and be full of spiritual activity, and this does not make them spiritual. Gal 5:17, The Spirit of God left Saul because of sin. 1 Samuel 16:1, 1 Samuel 16:14.
4. Sin blocks access to Divine Glory & Grace: The glory of God was the natural nature of man before sin, the moment sin enters the world, the glory was lost. The glory of God is loaded in the presence of God and once sin is present the presence of God disappears. Sin blocks every access to the glory and grace available in God. Romans 6:1, Romans 3:27
5. Sin attracts divine wrath & judgment: God is passionately against sin, he does not take the issue of sin lightly, every act of sin attracts the judgment and wrath of God. Sin is a provoker of divine judgment. Many times when the devil cannot attack the believers he pushes them to sin because he knows sin will attract judgment. Num 25:1-10, Rev 2:14. Achan died together with his family because of sin. Joshua 7:20-26. Annaia & Saphira Acts 5:1-11. Eternal damnation is also part of God’s wrath and judgment. 1 Cor 6:9-11, Romans 1:18-21, Coll 3:6, Eph 5:6
LIVING ABOVE SIN
The full intention of God is that we live above sin, Jesus many times told the people he healed, ‘ Go and sin no more’ Meaning it is an expectation of heavens that we sin no more. However it is not in the strength of man to live above sin, but it is in the provisions of God for man to do so. God has made provisions for man to live a sin free life in Jesus and through Jesus. The following are essential in living above sin.
1. Genuine repentance and acceptance of the Lordship of Christ: Until you repent, you cannot be forgiven. Genuine repentance and acceptance of Jesus as Lord and savior is what will save you from Sin and its Judgment. Acts 3:19, 1 John 1:7-9, 1 Cor 15:57
2. Heartfelt love for God and his word: Developing a heartfelt love for God and his word guides you from sinning. John 14:15, 1 John 2:3-5 Psalm 119:11, 1 John 3:9
3. Engaging the Power of Discipline: It takes deep discipline to be a disciple. To live above sin, discipline must be engaged. Gal 5:16, Job 31:1, Romans 8:12-13, Matt 5:30
There is nothing good in sin, all that is in sin is destructful.Now that you have discovered the power that is in sin, your personal commitment to take responsibility towards living a sin free life will position you to live above sin.Listen to life transforming messages 24 hours everyday on our 24 hours online radio station www.prayingradio.org
Topic: UNVEILING THE MYSTERY OF LOVE Part 1
INTRODUCTION: Whenever love is missing, the presence of hatred and evil imagination as well as manifestation is inevitable. 1 John 3:11-12. Love is a covenant necessity for a better world, without Love, our world remains in jeopardy. Therefore, to better our world, we need to embrace this covenant provision of love. In this series of teaching, we shall be considering what love is, the love of God to humanity, the expected love of humanity to God as well as love between humanity. May the Holy Spirit quicken our understanding of the word of God and impart us with the love of God in Jesus name.
UNDERSTANDING LOVE: Love is not just a feeling or emotional state of being; it goes beyond feelings and emotion it is a sincere commitment. Love is defined to mean the following:
- an intense feeling of deep affection b. preeminent kindness or devotion to another; affection; tenderness
Revelationally, Love is defined as unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another, sacrificial commitment to the wellbeing of others. 1 Corinthians 13:1-13
INSIGHTS ON GOD’S LOVE FOR HUMANITY
The deep revelation of God’s love for you empowers you to live a triumphant life on earth. Scripturally, Love is the whole nature of God, without God love is incomplete. 1 John 4:8.
- God’s love is not based on man’s goodness. Romans 5:8, Deut 7:7-8
- God’s love seeks out the best for humanity. John 3:16-17, 1 John 4:9-10, Deut 7:1, Isaiah 63:9
- God’s love enthrones you as God’s Children and for dominion. 1 John 3:1-2, 1 John 4:16-17
- God’s love compels him to chastise man when necessary. 3:12, Hebrews 12:6-11
Now that you have discovered that God’s love is eternal, unconditional and profitable; never allow any situation of life to make you feel unworthy and unacceptable before him. He loves you more than the way you see him or relate with him. Therefore, step into the fullness of the provisions made available for you by the reason of God’s love for you by walking, sleeping, waking and living in the consciousness of his love for you.
Topic: UNVEILING THE MYSTERY OF LOVE Part 2
INTRODUCTION: Last week we discovered in our teachings that love is more than just a feeling, it is a commitment to sacrifice and seek the good of others, additionally, we realized that God loves humanity not because of our goodness but because love is his full nature. 1 John 4:8. This week, we shall continue our scriptural exploration as we consider the expected love of humanity to God the creator- Why do we have to love God, How do we know if we love God and how to maintain our love for God. May the Holy Spirit open the eyes of our understanding in Jesus name
MAN AND LOVE FOR GOD: God is the universal source of love, he is Love and walks in love. As part of his agenda for humanity, he has ordained love as a cycle, not just what comes from him to man, but also to flow from man to him as well as between man. “We love him, because he first loved us.” 1 John 4:19. Hence, man is under covenant obligation to love God because he first loved us. To love God the way He desires us to love Him, means to totally give ourselves over to Him-to surrender, to relinquish and to abandon ourselves to Him, It means to set aside our life, so that His Life can come forth from our hearts.
WHY DO I HAVE TO LOVE GOD?
- He created, redeemed and designed us to love him by loving us. 1 John 4:19, John 3:16
- It is a Scriptural Command. Matt 22:35-40, Deut 10:12
- You cannot enjoy the best of God beyond the depth of your love for God 1Cor 2:9-10, Romans 8:28
- Your love for God is a proof of the value you have for God. 1 John 4:8
SCRIPTURAL PROOFS OF OUR LOVE FOR GOD.
To ascertain if our love for God is genuine, the following are some scriptural revelations that serves as proofs of Genuine love for God.
- Through the manifestation of our Love for others: 1 John 4:20-21.
- Through our Commitment and Obedience to His commandments. 1 John 5:2-3, John 14:23
- Through Passion for the things of God and hatred for sin. John 21:1-17, Amos 5:15
- Through Sacrificial living. Romans 12:1-3, Matt 19:16-22, 1 Corinthians 10:23
CONCLUSION: Loving God is profitable, therefore, let us discipline ourselves to maintain a solid love for God by first giving the whole of ourselves to him and abiding in his word.
Topic: UNVEILING THE MYSTERY OF LOVE Part 3
INTRODUCTION: A love based life is the believers ordained default lifestyle in the Kingdom; to live profitably in this kingdom, love is not a choice but a must. “Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.” 1 John 4:7-8
This week, we shall continue our revelational mission as we consider the third dimension of love, which is love between humanity.- Do we have to love one another, can we love everyone, how do I know if I am walking in love as well as love boosters. May the Holy Spirit quicken our understanding in Jesus name.
LOVE BETWEEN ONE ANOTHER.
Love is a universal virtue, just as it operates in heaven so also it is established to operate on the earth. Love between one another is the expected love of God that should radiate among humans. 1 John 4:11-13, Romans 13:8. Love is the birthing ground for peace and unity; when love is missing between one another , evil, wickedness and destruction prevails. Gal 5:14-15, Leviticus 19:18, 1 Peter 4:8
WHY DO WE HAVE TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER
- We are loved to love one another: God extended his love to us in order for us to love one another. 1 John 4:10-11, 1 John 3:16 , Eph 5:2.
- It is Divine Command : John 13:34-35, Matthew 22:37-39
- It is a visible proof of our Love for God: Your love for God is not profitable with your love for one another. 1 John 4:12, 1 John 4:20, 1 John 3:16-17
- It enhances collective progress and accomplishment: Love brings unity, and unity enhances progress in life. Acts 2:44-47, Acts 4:34-37.
- It is a proof of our Discipleship & Spiritual Maturity: Love between one another is a sign of growth and maturity in Christ. John 13:35, Luke 6:31-35
CONCLUSION: Love create room for unity and harmony among people, so also it connects us with God. Now that you have the understanding of why we need to love one another, be determined to walk in love and show love to others.
Topic: UNVEILING THE MYSTERY OF LOVE Part 4
INTRODUCTION: For every believer, love is a payable debt; having being loved by God, we are divinely indebted to love one another. “Owe no man anything, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.” Romans 8:13. This week, we shall be rounding up this series as we consider certain scriptural proofs of our love for one another and how to boost our love. May our understanding be quickened as we study in Jesus name.
SCRIPTURAL PROOFS OF OUR LOVE FOR ONE ANOTHER: When love is at work, it operates with proofs, without genuine proofs love is not love. John 3:16. The following are some scriptural proofs to ascertain if we love one another or not.
- Easiness of Forgiveness: If you cannot easily forgive, your love life is questionable, you cannot be walking in love and not forgive. Love does not have the ability to hold on to offences. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, Colossians 3:12-14, Acts 7:59-60, Eph 4:2, Proverbs 10:12
- Level of Care ,Concern & Service: Love is not complete without caring and service to others. How concerned are you for others? What level of sacrifice can you make to endure that things work for others? These are proofs of love for others. Gal 5:13, Luke 6:35
- Heart of Giving and Sacrifice: Love is sacrificial. When you love others, you give – time, resources, advantages etc. to improve their lives. Heb 6:10, Gal 6:10, Phil 2:4
BOOSTING OUR LOVE FOR ONE ANOTHER: Love is a spiritual virtue, when it is at work in any vessel in its full operation, it delivers optimally. The following are some scriptural love boosters.
- The Spirit of love: Love is absolutely spiritual, God is love, he is also a Spirit. To love therefore we need the Spirit of love. 2 Tim 1:7, Romans 5:5, Gal 5:22-23. The word of God is one of the channels for contacting and sustaining the Spirit of Love. Ezekiel 2:2, John 6:63
- Personal Commitment walk in love: Just love is Spiritual, loving therefore is a commitment. Until you make an absolute commitment to walk in love, you may not be able to. Everyone that makes excuses not to love will ever find it difficult to love. To boost your love, you need a personal commitment to the
love of God to manifest through you as well as abide in the Spirit. Gal 5:16, Col 3:16,
CONCLUSION: Now that we have received scriptural insights on the mystery of love let us committedly follow the counsel of Apostle John in 1 John 3:18 “My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth”.
UNDERSTANDING YOUR SPIRITUAL PERSONALITY PART 1
INTRODUCTION: The way you see yourself is the way you present yourself, and the way you present yourself is the way you will be represented. Numbers 13:33. Until you understand your spiritual personality, you cannot fully maximize who you are.
YOU ARE A SPIRITUAL PERSONALITY
- Man is a SPIRIT that has a SOUL and Lives in the Body: The real you is the Spirit in you. 1 Thess 5:23; Luke 16:19-31
- You are created in the Image and Likeness of God: God is a Spirit, therefore you cannot be less than the way God created you. The image and the likeness of God is the Spirit. Gen 1:26-28; God is a Spirit. John 4:23-24.
- New birth is re-enthronement into spiritual personality.: To be born again is to be born of the Spirit. John 3:6
- Your inner man is your original person- The Spirit in you is the original you. Your body is only a container. Job 32:8, Eph 3:16, 2 Cor 4:16
INSIGHT ABOUT YOUR SPIRITUAL PERSONALITY
Your life cannot be better than the depth of your spiritual growth: The More your grow Spiritually, the More better your life is in the kingdom of God. Prov 18:14. Ephesian 3:16-21
- The more Spiritual you are, the more liberty you enjoy . Spiritual development is the highway to enjoy total liberty and freedom in life. 2 Cor 3:17, Gal 5:16-17
- The state of your Spirit determines the level of your connectivity with God. God relates with your Spirit. John4:23, 1 Cor 2:9-12,14
- The Holy Spirit relates and operates with our Spirit. The Holy Spirit operates fully through our Spirit being which in turn affects our life. Romans 8:16
- Your Spirit man is the security of your life. Whatsoever affects your spirit man will affect your life. John 6:63, Prov 18:14
Topic: UNVEILING YOUR SPIRITUAL PERSONALITY Part 2
INTRODUCTION: Your exploits in life is traceable to the depth of your understanding of who you are and what you have access to. Without proper identification of who you are, your exploit in life will be limited. This study is designed to open your understanding to who you are in God. May the Holy Spirit open your eyes to this reality and empower you for result in Jesus name.
GROWING YOUR SPIRITUAL PERSONALITY
Just like no baby grows by chance, every baby that is born grows through the collective effort of the parents as well as the environment. So also your Spirit man does not grow until you grow him, whatever will grow must be operated upon. The Holy Spirit in you is the main person that enhances the growth of your spiritual personality. 1 Corinthians 3:16
The following empowers your Spirit man to grow.
- Feed your Spirit: To grow your Spirit you need to feed the Spirit with Spiritual food. What you feed on, influences what you will be fill with. To live healthy part of what you need to do is to eat healthy, so also to grow spiritually you need to eat. The word of God is the food that the spirit feeds on.
Joshua 1:8, Jeremiah 15:16. Fasting is another Spiritual food. Isaiah 58:6, 11. Luke 4:1-2,14
- Charge Your Spirit: Your Spirit needs to be charged for it to remain active. Prayer is one of the main charger that charges your spirit, most especially praying in the Spirit. Jude 1:20, 1 Cor 14:2-4.
Engaging in prayers, connect you with depth in God. So also Worship and fellowshipping with God charges your spirit to remain active and connected.
- Guard Your Heart: Your heart is the gateway to your Spirit. Prov 4:23. You keep your Spirit healthy and secured by guarding your heart. If your heart is not healthy, your Spirit cannot be fully healthy.
The atmosphere of Joy and gladness keeps your Spirit alive.
CONCLUSION: You can live the best of life in Christ, however you need to build up solid connection with God by growing your spirit man. The more you grow Spiritually, the more you enjoy more of God in your life.